Thursday, July 9, 2009

Grandma

It's amazing how special Grandmas are. When you are little, they spoil you rotten, allowing you to eat things you wouldn't normally be allowed to, buying you anything and everything, and letting you get away with way more than you ever could at home. As a teenager, they don't judge, and just love to hear your stories (and still spoil you rotten). As an adult, and now a parent, I've seen my grandparents in a whole new light; providing wisdom and support when I need it. And now, my kids are the ones being spoiled rotten. My situation was a little different than most of my friends in that neither sets of my Grandparents lived anywhere near me (not even in the same state). Growing up, we alternated between Colorado and New Mexico; constantly visiting family. That was always our "vacation." My Grandparents were always thrilled to have us, and we loved spending time at their house in Colorado. She was a little lady - claiming to be 5'2", but as my Dad says, that was never verified. :) She had a way about her that was inviting to anyone. She never judged, no matter what any of her crazy grandkids did (myself included), and was always there to listen.

My Dad told a story at the Memorial that I'd never heard, that I want to share. I was the first grandchild on both sides. This was a huge deal in the Pettine family for several reasons. One, I was the FIRST. Second, and most importantly, I was a GIRL. In the Pettine family, "girls are a treasure," according to my Great Aunt Ann. We really are hard to come by. :) My Dad is one of four boys, and there are ten grandchildren. Only four are girls. Of the three great-grandchildren, no girls. So I was born late on a Saturday evening, and back then, I guess they were a little more strict on the visitation hours in hospital nurseries. My Dad was standing outside the nursery window looking at me, and he heard a commotion down the hall. My grandparents had driven in from Colorado to see me, and apparently the nurse was telling them they'd have to come back the next day because visitation hours were over (I was supposed to be born the day before, but totally denied my mother of a baby with a failed induction - then came on my own the next day. Stubborn, much?). As he's walking towards them, he hears my itty-bitty Grandma tell this nurse that SHE HAS BEEN WAITING 50 YEARS FOR THIS BABY AND BY GOD SHE WASN'T GOING TO STAND IN HER WAY. This just sounds exactly like my Grandma. Itty bitty is stature, but such a little firecracker. :) Needless to say, they let her in to see me.

There are few people that will talk Bronco Football with me like my Grandma would. On my last trip there, we had a lengthy discussion about Brandon Marshall (Broncos WR) and how she thought it was time to trade him. (I did NOT agree) And now look who's begging for a trade... I know she's smiling down on me for that one. She was the only other woman I knew that would sit and watch an entire weekend of football, and love every minute of it. She was an avid golfer, and love being outside. I know there is so much of her in me, and I miss her tremendously.


Love you Grandma!!!

Me, Grandma, and my Uncle Chris:

Britton, right after his "Nona" (she insisted on being called this by her great-grandkids - we're italian, just go with it. :) ) gave him his first taste of ice cream EVER at 9 months! I think he liked it just a little bit...

This is by far my favorite picture. I just love the look on her face with little Britton. Sadly, she never met Leyton, but I know she would have LOVED him.


No comments: