Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lisa = OCD

I've had several people comment recently that my 'strange' habits border on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Now any member of my family will tell you this is old news (they've been saying that for years) but for some reason this is coming up repeatedly lately. Am I really getting worse? So for my own reassurance that I'm not nuts, I'm going to list the big ones. So come on people, SOMEONE agree with me that these are perfectly valid concerns. And no making fun of "psycho Lisa."
1. I have a thing about bare feet. Or sandal feet for that matter. Two rules in the land of Lisa - NEVER go barefoot - even in your own house. That's the purpose of slippers. Seriously, I have a real problem with this. My 3 year old even wears slippers around the house now thanks to me. Your feet might get dirty! (Hmm... Maybe that should indicate that I should clean my floors more often?) Which leads to the second part of my foot quirk. If you wear sandals, flip flops, anything without socks, you had better wash your feet before getting into your bed. Now that's just disgusting. I have images in my head of germs leaping off the ground onto your feet when you walk into a public bathroom (which is a whole other quirk in itself) or anywhere else in public, so why exactly would you want to then put your feet in your bed?? Yuck. Even PJ knows better on this one. And yes, Jenn and Kori, I can hear you laughing already on this one.
2. Ketchup on napkins. Yeah, this one probably officially labels me as C-R-A-Z-Y. But I blame my mother and sister entirely. For years when we would go to McDonald's or anywhere similar, they would put the ketchup on napkins. EWWWWW. I swear this scarred me for life. It's just been in the last 2-3 years I've been able to eat ketchup again. I won't go into the details on why this is so disgusting in my twisted mind (b/c that will then force me to re-live the events of the past and go back to not eat ketchup again and I honestly kind of like it now), just take my word for it. If the only place you have to put your ketchup is on a napkin, just do me a favor and skip it altogether.
3. Hand Sanitizer. Yes, I'm a bit on the germ-a-phobe side of the street. You can never have enough. I have it in my purse, in both boy's school bags, and in the car. Oh, and did I mention I even have it in the wipe form for tabletops at restaurants, etc? I think I should own stock in Bath & Body.
4. Styrofoam Cups and "good" ice. Anyone that knows me at all knows this is my thing. There are a very limited number of establishments from which I will purchase a drink. A paper or plastic cup isn't going to cut it - they sweat everywhere and your drink is watered down 30 seconds after you buy it. I have been known to drive WAY out of the way (or ask PJ to - and he's generally kind enough to oblige) just to get a drink from a specific restaurant (Chick-fil-a being the currently fav, followed by McDonald's, Burger Street, and Sonic). My Mom even has Styrofoam cups at her house, partially for me and my nuttiness. And yes, I realize this is not the "Green" way to do things, and I don't want the lectures. I'm not a green or crunchy kind of person. I admire those that are, and I have no problem with it, but I'm just not. Plain and simple. I don't do things intentionally that are bad for the earth, so don't read too much into that. But I'm not above Styrofoam cups or plastic water bottles, and I don't have my own reusable shopping bag. I like the paper ones at Reasor's. :) Shoot me.
5. Public Restrooms. Now I don't think this one is "out there" at all. If you aren't slightly disgusted by public pottys then I'm concerned. However, I admit I'm a little over the top. I have this theory that you get more germs by touching the handles on the faucets, soap dispenser, and paper towel dispensers than you are actually washing off, so I choose instead to use my hand sanitizer. So before anyone freaks out here thinking I don't wash my hands, read that sentence again - I USE HAND SANITIZER rather than wash my hands in the germ-infested sink. :) Now the beauty of this little "quirk" is that my gymnastics days are coming in handy. I can successfully (oh yeah, I'm proud of this) enter a public restroom (including opening the door), take care of business and walk out only touching the lock on the stall door and the toilet paper. That whole deal of being rather flexible thanks to gymnastics has worked out well for me. So glad to see I can still use my skills. :) You wouldn't believe the looks I get when I use my foot to open the door. But honestly, I just don't care.

Hmm... I guess that raps it up. Re-reading my little list, if you think I'm OCD, yeah, you are probably right. Oh well. It's me - take it or leave it. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Lisa, I am laughing so hard right now and reliving some our childhood. I have to say that you are bordering on OCD. But the sad part is I can probably agree with you on most of these. Maybe not to this extreme but I know that I get close at times. I hardly ever go barefoot at home I always wear slippers or flip flops. Even though I do clean my floors I don't think you can get them clean enough. The ketchup on the napkin thing is pretty gross. The napkin gets soggy and tears. Ewwww! I don't really do the whole styrofoam cups and "good" ice thing. I do hate the cups that sweat but I can't say that I go out of my way to get the "good" ones. Public Restrooms are nasty and Walmart's are definitely the worst! I have been more into hand sanitzer since having the boys. I have it on my desk, purse, kitchen and diaper bag. If I'm in the public restroom I will wash my hands in the sink and then also use sanitizer. I think I need to get some of the wipes. LOL! I think this is why we've been friends for so long. :) We love you Lisa!

Corie

Learning 4 Life said...

I totally agree, but then my family laughs at me, too, and calls me OCD constantly! I have the same major quirks plus maybe a few more! I'm glad I'm not alone... maybe we should start an OCD support group :)

The Wehr's said...

You know there are groups for that right?? Just kidding, I can agree a little on some of those things. Public restrooms are DISGUSTING!!! Wearing slippers in your own home??? Really? I can't go to bed without a shower or bath. I really don't like that Brian doesn't always shower before bed because it kinda overrides my effort for a clean bed. I too picture his germs crawling to my side of the bed! I'm glad you got this off of your chest, but everyone already knows you're OCD. Love ya anyway!

Anonymous said...

Lisa... I am glad to see that you haven't changed even though we don't live together anymore. I seriously was laughing outloud reading this!!
Jenn