Thursday, August 27, 2009

first day of school

Today was the first day of school for BOTH my babies. And like most moms would say, I think it was much harder on me than it was on them. Britton practically bounded into class, and might not have even given me a hug and kiss if his teacher didn't remind him. They were baking gingerbread cookies today (and going on a gingerbread hunt) - and he could hardly contain himself. They had a gingerbread door, made of cardboard, set up that the kids had to go through and Britton was in heaven. I, on the other hand, was so sad to realize this is my first born's last year at the Kirk. This time next year, I'll be in the dark. No more "inside information" from the director (AKA my mom), no more special treatment. Oh my. I was a Jenks grad - wouldn't even consider sending my kids anywhere else for K-12, but still, it's just scary.


Leyton on the other hand, DID cry when I handed him over to his teacher. It was the break-your-heart-why-are-you-leaving-me kind of cry. However, I'm wise to his tricks. :) He's pulled this before, and if you hang around long enough (2 minutes, tops), he's happy and playing with all the other kiddos. I think it's more for my benefit than anything else. The teachers told me he had a wonderful day - ate all his lunch (since when does Leyton skip meals anyway), ran around like a little monkey on the playground, and even napped on his nap mat. That last one is huge - my Mom messaged me a little after noon to tell me that Leyton was not unhappy, but was not the least bit interested in having anything to do with the nap mat. :) But the teachers worked their toddler magic and I got another message 10 minutes later that he was sleeping - ON HIS NAP MAT! :)


Ready for school! Oh yes, I totally dressed them in matching outfits. I don't care what anyone thinks - I won't be able to get away with this much longer (PJ already tells me it's so not cool).


Britton, begging me to stop taking pictures and take him up the stairs to his class. Looks a little impatient, no? :)

Leyton, considering his escape options:

Blowing Gigi a goodbye kiss (although he saw her again in less than 20 minutes)



3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh I LOVE the matching outfits! I do it too and it's so fun! They are precious!!

katie said...

What a cute picture of the 2 of them! And your hair is so cute, by the way! :)

The Wehr's said...

They are so handsome and they look so grown up. Didn't you just give birth to Leyton??? Oh, how time flies...
Awesome hair!!! Fits you perfectly.