Thursday, August 12, 2010

And So It Begins...

Today was the first day of Kindergarten. We had laid everything out last night, packed his backpack, lunchbox, and snack. We got up this morning, tried to act like it was any other day (plus a few little "first day of kindergarten gifts" I'd picked up), and got ready to leave. I snapped no less than 800 pictures and off we went...

The traffic was worse than I could have ever imagined. Even with our well planned "back way" to school, we still sat in traffic forever. Finally got to the school and quickly realized offroading would be required to park. Grabbed a grassy spot that didn't cause the Honda to high-center, and headed inside, pushing the non-offroading stroller over some of the thickest grass possible - saying I had broken a sweat by the time we reached the building is an understatement.

Proceeded to stand in line to check in via the "lobby guard" with no less than 100 other anxious parents for 20 minutes. By the time we are 10 people from the front, I realize my driver's license is in the car, which is REQUIRED for check-in... Luckily, one of the nice office ladies saw my almost-nervous-breakdown state and came to the rescue and stood with the kids so I could sprint to the car to get my license. Got back just in time for my turn (looked great for the pic with sweat pouring down my face), checked in and proceeded to walk BK to his class... His teacher came out to greet him, let me take a picture and escorted him in.

And that's it. I stood in the hall watching my baby in the big boy classroom with a giant hole in my heart and slowly walked away. I'm so proud of him, and he did so much better than I thought possible, but it's just so bittersweet.

So to make myself feel better, Leyton and I headed to our favorite hangout, Starbucks. I needed a coffee, and Leyton deserved a donut for being such a champ while his mother sobbed in the car. And this is where the story gets even better. First thing to note is that I was on a conference call (cell phone seems to be permanently attached to my ear these days for work). As I roll down the window to order, a GINORMOUS grasshopper (we'll call him "GH" for kicks) jumps right in and parks on my dash. I'm trying not to scream b/c of the conference call, and instead take GH along for a ride to the pickup window... I DON'T DO BUGS. I talk the cashier into giving me an extra cup so I can somehow trap GH, get the donut and drive away. Note I didn't say I got my coffee. Pull over, and spend 10 minutes trying to chase GH out of my car, all the while still on the phone. Finally get him out (he might be missing a limb, sorry GH, I can't be held responsible), then realize I DON'T HAVE MY COFFEE. %#^&*(&*!!!! Head back to the lengthy line, get coffee and head home. I'm pretty sure my coworkers think I'm nuts.

And now I'm counting down the hours until I get to pick up sweet B! And can't wait to hear all about his first day at Kindergarten.

BK, completely weighted down with the new backpack and lunchbox!

Checking the time on the "first day of Kindergarten" present from Mom and Dad - a new watch!

Sweet Boys!

Doesn't he look so grown up? Sniff, sniff...

Right outside his classroom... Sorry it's a bit blurry, my hands were shaking by this point...

Britton and his super-sweet teacher, Mrs. Jinks (easy to remember, right? :) )

2 comments:

Jason & Kizzy said...

oh lisa! sorry for your extremely eventful day! i'm sure britton will come home with so many fun stories. he didn't happen to get in the same class as bella, did he? that's why you need to have another baby-- so, you can have another one at home while britton is at school... he, he!

Valerie said...

my favorite pic is the loaded down backpack and lunchbox pic. ;) so adorable. but seriously, how is it again they are ready for this rite of passage? this mama sure isn't!