Last year, while I really enjoyed being in Europe and seeing things and places I'd never seen, it was really HARD to be away from my family for 2 weeks. So yeah, it was fun. Yeah, I was pretty proud of myself for actually doing it, surviving, and coming home in one piece. Did I want to do it again? NO. So when I found out earlier this Summer I had to head back over the pond, and this time by myself (last time I went with a co-worker), I wasn't exactly thrilled. The time was shorter (8 days this time), but I was far more anxious than last time. Travelling that far, to 4 different countries (one of which I'd never been to), and doing it SOLO wasn't exactly high on my list of things to do. Not to mention I left 2 days after sweet BK started Kindergarten!
I started in Vienna, Austria, and spent exactly 20 hours there. What I saw of the city was beautiful, and I'm dying to go back and really explore, as I really didn't get to see much of anything. You refer to your location in Vienna by whether you are inside or outside "the ring." There really is a street that runs around the middle of the city (which is the street behind me in the pic below). It's just a gorgeous city. Very clean, friendly people, and seemed easy to get around.
This was a monument that was right near my hotel, and I walked over there the evening I arrived to take a look. I was told the next day by the client I was visiting (that just happens to be Russian) that it was a monument to the Russian soldiers that died in liberating Vienna.
Next stop, Paris (via a very scary plane ride that involved people screaming in foreign languages because of the awful turbulence, and no english from the flight attendents so I had no clue what was going on. And I'm sure everyone remembers from last year how much I love to fly)! PJ and I spent 6 days in Paris when I was pregnant with Britton, so I actually know this city fairly well. I speak very little french, but have no trouble navigating the city after our time there 6 years ago. Also, a co-worker of mine, who used to be my office neighbor and good friend, was on a project there, so we arranged to meet for dinner on the famous avenue des Champs-Elysées and had a great time catching up! Too bad I still hate french food. I thought maybe it was because I was pregnant last time, but no. Everything is cold (except the drinks, which are WARM), and nothing's all that great. Yuck. Call me a spoiled American, but honestly, I'm not picky. I just can't stand French food.
Beautiful Paris...

This was a really cool shot. The client I was visiting was in the La Defense area of Paris, which is very much a business area - EMPTY after working hours. We walked over there the night before so I could figure out where I had to get to the next morning... Just outside the office was this amazing view of the Eiffel Tower! A bit blurry, but you can still see it.
The famous Arc de Triomphe on avenue des Champs-Elysées... We made no attempt to play frogger in the traffic circle this time around, but that's always worth the entertainment. :) Somehow we managed to get a picture with no cars, but trust me, it's crazy.
The best street for shopping in the world!
From Paris, I took a train to Dusseldorf, Germany. This was actually REALLY cool. The train took us through the countryside of France, Belgium and Germany, and I really enjoyed the scenery - just beautiful! Again, Dusseldorf was a very quick stop - like 18 hours. But we did get out that evening to have traditional German food, which I do just love! I had Schnitzel and Apple Strudel... Yummmmmmm... And total number of pictures from Dusseldorf? zero. zilch. nada. Sorry.
Last stop, London, my European "home." The weather was beautiful - Fall was in full swing, and I really enjoyed running the streets of London one evening - can't beat the scenery of the Tower of London, London Bridge, and the Thames on a run! Loved it! And I always hear people say they don't like the food in London, but I think those people are crazy. I've never eaten anything there I didn't like! And I've tried it all... Traditional english (I eat a lot of this - can't go wrong with fish and chips), last time I tried traditional Indian Fare in that area of London, and this time I went with Japanese! It was great!
A fun venue I want to visit there - this place was PACKED in the evenings! It looked to be a group of bars/restaurants that were covered, yet open to the outdoors - a "market." So cool!
And finally home. Can't beat home sweet home. :) This was my "welcome home" party, courtesy of Britton... Complete with a princess crown, which of course had to be taped to my head. And I wouldn't have it any other way! Love ALL my boys! (Forgive my horrific appearance in this photo - I was going on being awake for 24 hours straight by this point)

1 comment:
Whether you love those business trips or not, I'm still jealous! Sounds like fun to me! :)
Post a Comment