Saturday, December 25, 2010

Graham

Meet Graham, our sweet little houseguest for the weekend!


I heard from one of Leyton's preschool teachers that the Animal Rescue here in town does a foster program for Christmas for the animals. Obviously they come in to feed and let them out over the holiday weekend, but I'm sure the time they spend there is less than during normal hours. The foster program looks for families willing to take a doggie home for a few days and give them a warm bed and loving family for Christmas. I'm a sucker when it comes to animals (they truly have my heart - especially those that don't have a "forever" family), so we decided to participate. We've really been trying to teach the boys about giving to others this holiday season in a variety of ways - giving time, money, and love, and this was a wonderful opportunity to help a sweet dog.

I WISH we could keep him. He really is the sweetest little guy (and by little I mean a bit smaller than mimi - he's part german shepherd, part lab) - potty-trained, playful, crate-trained (for nighttime and when we are away - didn't hear a peep out of him last night, and he was in our room), and gets along well with Mia. But that's the problem, right? So Mimi has been the princess around here for the last 8.5 years. She is a member of our family in every way and we love her dearly. I worry that by allowing another doggie to join this late in the game is unfair to her... Not to mention the costs of TWO dogs - food, vet visits, etc.

So he's supposed to be returned on Monday. I've already told PJ he's going to have to do it. I would absolutely lose it if I had to, and I'm still going to cry here at home. But if any of you out there in blog-land are looking for a wonderful new addition to your family - go see Graham. He's perfect. :)

And do me a favor and say a little prayer for sweet Graham. He deserves his own wonderful forever family.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Dang it, Lisa, you're going to make me cry just reading this! Doug and I are the biggest suckers EVER for animals -- is it bad to admit that animal deaths cause me way more grief than humans sometimes? We LOVE animals. And we heard about this program as well, but there is NO WAY we could be good candidates since the animals would not get returned. As a 6-pet household right now, we have to wait until we add any more members. But I tell you, if we lived in the country, we would have a zillion pets!